Rule 4- Ball in Play, Dead Ball, and Out of Bounds
Section 1- Putting the Ball in Play
- Art. 1- To start each half and to resume play after a field goal or after a try, the ball shall be put in play by a kick-off.
- Art. 2- A free kick shall also put the ball in play:
- After a safety
- When a free-kick down is replayed
- When a free-kick is chosen following a fair catch, an awarded fair catch, the replay of a down follows a fair catch or an awarded fair catch.
- Art. 3- A snap shall, if elected, put the ball in play when a free kick is not specified.
- Art. 4- A snap of free-kick shall be made between the inbound lines.
- Art. 5- After being put in play the ball remains live until the down ends
- Art. 6- The ball remains dead and a down is not begun if a snap or free kick is attempted before the ball is ready for play, or there is an illegal snap, other snap infraction or a dead ball foul occurs.